Statement of College of Rectors of Wrocław and Opole Universities
September 2, 2020, Academy of Physical Education in Wroclaw. First meeting of the KRUWIO in the 2020-2024 term
We publish the statement of the rectors of the College of Rectors of Wrocław and Opole Universities (KRUWIO), Wrocław, October, 29, 2020.
Speaking on behalf of the undersigned universities of Wrocław and Opole, we express our concern about the legal, political and social situation in Poland. We are deeply concerned about the possible consequences of this situation for the safety and health of the citizens of our country, in particular members of our academic communities.
For several days now, protests have been ongoing in connection with the ruling of the Constitutional Tribunal. Regardless of the content of the ruling, it must be considered, at the very least, unwise to initiate and carry out an appropriate procedure during the epidemic, and to announce the ruling at the time of an exponential increase in infections. During this time, all political and social forces should concentrate on ensuring the safety of the inhabitants of our country. This should be an absolute priority, especially for those in power.
At present, social protests, regardless of their political overtones, are becoming increasingly emotional, spontaneous and, under the influence of stimuli from political forces, aggressive. As a result, social divisions are growing, which is only exacerbating the health crisis. In the situation of our health care system, which has been struggling with serious problems for years, this may lead to a rapid and tragic collapse of its organisational efficiency.
We strongly urge all political forces, institutions and people with social authority to join today, without hesitation and without estimating political losses and gains, in the peaceful resolution of the dispute. The situation in our country today requires swift actions on the part of worthy statesmen, looking only at the good and voice of the communities and at the safety of Polish women and men. It is the responsibility of those in power to resolve the situation properly, respecting the rights of citizens, which was initiated by decisions of state bodies.
We call on the government and the ministerial authorities to support the academic values which stem from the tradition of the classical university, that is, to take action to restore compromise and social understanding. We stress that freedom of debate and the autonomy of universities are the foundations which determine our place and authority in society. It is impossible to imagine a modern society without academic communities strong in their independence.
At the same time, we appeal to everyone - regardless of the side of the dispute - to be prudent and respectful of every participant in the public debate. We ask to resort exclusively to peaceful forms of protest. Let us remember that when the dispute is over, we will continue to live side by side, we will cooperate and support each other in the difficult moments that are undoubtedly facing us.
College of Rectors of Wroclaw and Opole Universities
1. Prof. Dr habil. Andrzej Rokita, (President of KRUWIO) Rector of the Academy of Physical Education in Wrocław
2. Prof. Dr habil. Piotr Ponikowski, (Vice-President of KRUWIO) Rector of the Medical University in Wroclaw
3. Prof. Dr habil. Andrzej Kaleta (Vice-President of KRUWIO) Rector of the University of Economics in Wrocław
4. Prof. Dr habil. Eng. Yaroslav Bosy, Rector of the University of Life Sciences in Wroclaw
5. Prof. Dr habil. Krystian Kiełb, Rector of the Academy of Music in Wrocław
6. Professor Wojciech Pukocz, Rector of the Academy of Fine Arts in Wrocław
7. Prof. Dr habil. Przemyslaw Wiszewski, Rector of the University of Wrocław
8. Prof. Dr habil. Eng. Arkadiusz Wójs, Rector of the Wrocław University of Technology
9. Rev. Prof. Dr habil. Włodzimierz Wołynie, Rector of the Papal Faculty of Theology in Wrocław
10. Prof. Dr habil. Elżbieta Czaplińska-Mrozek, Vice-Rector for the Wrocław branch of the Academy of Theatrical Arts in Kraków
11. Dr habil. Eng. Marcin Lorenc, Rector of the Opole University of Technology
12. Prof. Dr habil. Marek Masnyk, Rector of the University of Opole
Photo: AWF Wrocław